Himachal Pradesh Skill Development Project has been started in Himachal Pradesh since June 2018 to assist the State Government in reforming and modernizing its technical and vocational education and training (TVET) institutions and programs to boost the employability of Himachal Pradesh’s youth and improve their employment prospects. As a part of this endeavor, the Project will also implement demand driven short term NSQF aligned training programs including livelihood based skill trainings for approximately 2,000 Person’s With Disability.
In order to design the programme for skilling of the differently abled persons, as a first step discussions were undertaken with various stakeholders such as the Directorate for Empowerment of SC, OBC, Minorities and Specially Abled Persons, NGOs, Department for Empowerment of Specially Abled, Govt if India, Affirmative Action team of NSDC, Sector Council PwD, industry employers and training service providers. The major outcomes of these meetings included the following:-
1. The training modules for persons with disability require a holistic approach incorporating training in a specific trade, counseling of both the individual as well as family, soft skill development, motivation and confidence development activities, use of assistive technology, and exposure visits. In addition, in case of industry employment, there is a need to sensitize the other employees for improving the adaptability of the differently abled persons.
2. The skill trainings have been sporadic, limited to a few sectors such as handicrafts & hospitality and do not provide holistic substantial support to the candidates.
3. There is a diverse industrial base in Himachal Pradesh concentrated in Solan, Sirmaur and Una District and it is necessary to undertake industry sensitization to promote inclusion and arrive at consensus on job roles in which skilling of PwDs can be undertaken.
4. Entrepreneurship opportunities for self employment as well as group need to explored focusing on the entire value chain especially brand development and marketing.
In view of the above, it is was decided that the inclusive skilling to be undertaken by HPKVN must initiate an interaction amongst the various stakeholders involved in skilling of the differently abled persons and seek their suggestions, views as well as cooperation towards designing an effective programme for skilling of the differently abled in Himachal Pradesh. In this direction, a ‘Nav Dhaarna’ (new Perspective) a workshop for “Skilling of Differently Able Persons in Himachal Pradesh- Opportunities, Challenges and Way forward” is being organized on 20th November 2018 at Hotel Holiday Home, Shimla with the following objectives:-
1. Platform for convergence of stakeholders involved in Skilling of Differently Abled Persons.
2. Awareness on ‘Dis-ability’.
3. Experience sharing by stakeholders and information dissemination on best practices.
4. Recommendations for HPKVN’s Skilling Initiatives for Differently Abled Persons.
The workshop will involve the participation of several stakeholders involved in the in skilling of the differently abled persons such as Affirmative Action Team of National Skill Development Corporation, Skill Council for Persons with Disabilities, Directorate for Empowerment of SC, OBC, Minorities and Specially Abled Persons, Department of Rural Development, Urban Development etc, organizations which have undertaken inclusion initiatives such as Wild Flower Hall, Radisson Hotels, Vishal Mega Mart, ITI Sundernagar, Institute for Specially Abled Children Dhalli, specialized training partners V-Shesh, Sai Swayam Society for Speech and Hearing Impaired, NGOs involved in empowerment of differently abled such as CHETNA, ABHI, CORD, UDAAN, AASTHA etc.